Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Rainy Day Thrift Finds .. and Mom's too!

I like to say my home is one unique style, but to be honest, it's not. It's an eclectic mix of vintage elegance. A little dash of shabby, french country, traditional, etc here and there. My house contains mostly flea market, thrift stores, garage sales, outlets, and auction finds. I don't have many friends who are into "used" goods, but when they come over to my house, they do find themselves in a little bit of awe. As time goes by, I'll introduce you to my home.

I did some shopping Tuesday night and found some great buys at my local thrift store. I was extremely happy. So where do I begin?

For starters, remember that wall pocket I was looking for? I found a medium sized one. It is perfect. However, it does need a new do. Check it out! I can't wait to get started on it and dress up my front door.

I wasn't looking for it, but I found another breadbox. It was crying "buy me". I'm a firm believer that some things want to be found and bought. Anyhoo, remember that silver breadbox I bought a week ago? Well, I've decided to leave it as is. Silver. But as for the new breadbox, that box will get a new shabby makeover. I was going to convert my traditional kitchen into a shabby theme, but I decided to leave it alone for now. I really do like it the way it is... for now. As for the breadbox, I will store it until the conversion takes place. However, along with the wall pocket and breadbox, I found two other beautiful finds: a silver tray (slightly tarnished) and a shabby cutting board. See below:


I polished my tray up using MAAS (the stuff really works) and immediately placed it on my dining room table. Sorry no pics yet.

I can't wait to get started on my wall pocket & breadbox project, but I'm waiting for a sunny day (it's been cold & rainy). If all is sunny this weekend, you know what I'll be doing. And I'll show you the results.

My mom got lucky today at the flea market. She found two brass cherub lamps, a victorian style night light, silk embroidery books (15 books for a dollar each), a silk embroidered pillow, victorian decoupage images (a huge bag full), quilting frame, pink plastic bowls, shabby basket, shabby bed sheets and a vintage doll (unfortunately, it was missing an arm). I rec'd most of the items, and I was jumping for joy! I didn't take photos of everything, but here are some of her finds.




I don't think I'll be doing any shopping this weekend because of a cold I caught from my boys, but I will be working on my lampshades for the lamp on my foyer console table. That's been a work in project for at least two months now.

Well, that's all the joy I'm expressing for now. Until next time...

Toodles.

1 comment:

Glenda said...

You found some great things.

I too love Maas for polishing silver. I just bought something that I'll share soon that I polished. I like it better that Wrights polish. Hope to see your tray in all it's glory.

Ciao